Re: Connecting to Unidata through HS

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 00:34:55 -0800

"Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca.x> wrote

> The trace shows this:
>
> SELECT
> A1.NAME AS c0001,
> A1.AREA AS c0000
> FROM ADMINISTRATORS.DEMO_WELL_INFO_NF A1
>
> I run this in Powerbuilder using ODBC connection to Unidata and it fails.
> If I change it to:
>
> SELECT
> A1.NAME c0001,
> A1.AREA c0000
> FROM ADMINISTRATORS.DEMO_WELL_INFO_NF A1
>
> it works! So somehow I need to prevent HS from adding the AS in the SQL
> statement. I can't find anything in the configuration parameters for
> Unidata ODBC that has the passthrough option.

The AS statement I think is the SQL standard to label a column in the SELECT statement. Something like:
<COLUMNAME/EXPR> [AS <COLUMNLABEL>]

However, a number of databases uses the AS an optional keyword, including Oracle. Which I think is not ANSI SQL compliant.

Thus in order to make the statement valid as per SQL standards, HS adds the AS keyword to make the Oracle accepted syntax ANSI compliant.. but Unidate seems not to support the standards and barfs when getting the AS keyword...

--
Billy