Re: Myth revisited ...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:33:57 +1100

There was a thread on Oracle-L about this a few weeks ago. Funny how these things come around.

The consensus seemed to be you can get a measure of better indexing (less b-tree levels) if you put the index in a tablespace with a large block size. Therefore reducing I/O even more for the indexes.

I can't remember if there were any caveats on key sizes and complexity. In any case, something I'd consider only after a lot of experimentation and testing.

As for tables in tablespaces of larger block sizes, I can see an advantage when dealing with LOBs: you get (hopefully) more "in-lined" rows. It also may be advantageous for IOTs.

Again: very hard to say it will work everytime. Highly dependent on workloads, blah-blah-blah.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto