Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:34:43 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Your name wrote:
>>

>>>I am new to Oracle and am preparing to install on a Linux box.
>>>
>>>Is Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) commonly used?
>>>
>>>Thank you for your comments,
>>>R. Harkins
>>>

>>I would describe it as essential. This does not mean that there aren't
>>shops that ignore it. But they pay a price forever when they bring in
>>new people or ask for support.

> I hate to be contrary, but I would say that OFA is largely redundant for
> many shops these days. When you have RAID, OFA's efforts to separate
> tablespaces from each other on the basis of their tendency to I/O conflict
> is pretty redundant. The file naming conventions are still sound, but not if
> you ever start dipping your toes into OMF-created files. The product
> separation principles (ie, how to have 8, 8i and 9i all co-exist on the same
> box) are equally still sound... but rather fly in the face of the general
> advice to have one database (and hence one version) per server.
>
> All in all, I would say OFA has a lot to say about sensible layouts, but not
> a lot practically to contribute these days.
>
> Regards
> HJR
You are focusing on one aspect of OFA that, I know, is a big issue in this usenet group due to the promotors of mythology. But OFA is also, and I'd argue far more importantly, the way home directories are laid out.

You don't want to know how many times I've gone on a consulting job and the first thing I did was spend hours trying to figure out what dimwit put what files where and which database files related to which Oracle files where.

There is nothing like seeing
/product/oracle/8.1.7/
/product/oracle/9.2.0/

To know what is what and make life much easier for everyone.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)