Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA)

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:38:14 GMT

Your name wrote:

> I am new to Oracle and am preparing to install on a Linux box.
>
> Is Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) commonly used?
>
> Thank you for your comments,
> R. Harkins

In my shop, and any shops that ask me for advice, OFA is the most acceptable alternative.

  1. It is documented, therefore any new DBA will either understand it or have a means of learning it quickly;
  2. It has been revised and enhanced since the mid-90's, has stood the test of time (computer age), and is reasonably solid;
  3. It understands the Oracle_Home concept (both allowing maintenance and upgrades);
  4. It can conform to, or respect, the requirements of most disk architectures and file systems.

There are other reasons, the above are sufficient for me. /Hans Received on Fri Nov 14 2003 - 22:38:14 CST