Re: Database Size Estimation

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:14:58 GMT

Vijays wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been asked to do the database size estimation. I have the the
> list of tables, indexes and average number of rows expected at this
> point and also for the next 5 years...With that how can i estimate the
> database size. This the first time i am exposed to do such thing. Any
> help is highly appreciated.
>
> I am hoping to get a tool or some excel sheet where i key in the
> respective information to get the sizing !! is something possible like
> that ??
>
> Rgds

Easiest method:

  1. 5Gb for software, all patches, etc.
  2. 1 GB for starter DB
  3. create the starter database, create the table structures, load some sample data, analyze and look at the analysis (average row length).
  4. Load the object names and averages into spread sheet (use ODBC), insert projected number of rows,
  5. multiply by "fearless francis farkas' fudge factor" of 1.79 (because the estimates are never right and because specifications change within 30 days)
  6. double that disk requirement, because someone will want to do testing, [separate from] training, [separate from] development, [separate from] special reporting, etc. etc. etc.

Note that the online documentation, specifically the Database Administration manual, available at http://otn.oracle.com >> Documentation button (aka http://docs.oracle.com) is a good friend here. Numbers and calc methods are there.

Note also that people will be kind and give explicit datatype sizing, accidently misleading you into ignoring 'modern' datatype sizing for things like 'TIMESTAMP' and 'INTERVAL', XMLtype, Spatial type, collections and other special objects that you probably should consider but are likely to have been led to believe you need to handle in other (non-Oracle) ways. Received on Fri Nov 14 2003 - 18:14:58 CST