newbie listener question

From: Didier <didier.wiroth_at_mcesr.etat.lu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:43:29 +0100

Hi,
I've a few question about the oracle listener (9.2.0.1.0).

  1. what does the listener password (set password xyz) exactly protect? does that mean you can't connect to the 1521 port anymore with "any" other application without submitting a password? For example,
  2. are you still able to connect with tomcat and the oracle jdbc thin drivers without passwords?
  3. do you need to provide this password to every client/PC that uses the "oracle client" to connect to the db?
  4. what is extproc and in which cases is it actually used?
  5. what is ADMIN_RESTRICTIONS and what exactly does it limit?

I would greatly appreciate if you could also provide me some good doc/links about oracle security and stuff related to my questions.

Many many thanks
Didier Received on Fri Nov 14 2003 - 10:43:29 CST