Re: Oracle 9i R2 and Red Hat 9 Linux x86

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2003 01:51:48 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<3fb35ebe$0$13968$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> > Sorry, I didn't read the paper, because is quite big (7.2MB is quite a
> > lot for 79 pages).
>
> Lots of screenshots.

Are you using the latest specification of PDF? You could get much better compression ratio for pictures and in general everything is much smalller. PDF document can be now even one fifth of size of document created according to previous specifications.

> > Isn't better just to suggest usage of RedHat 8, on which you can
> > install Oracle 9.2 out of the box with no "twisting" at all?
>
> That's not quite true, either. RH8 fails with an error on ins_ctx.env which
> requires some (minor) hacking to fix.

Yes, maybe. Probably no one is using all option that came with Oracle Server. I didn't use Context so I didn't encountered this problem. However, even beginner can install Oracle 9.2 on RedHat 8 with no previous Oracle experiences, just clicking on colourfull wizard and he will have a basic working installation after that (hopefully). Probably easiest from OS/ORA combination to install, if we're talking about non-WIN environment. Mandrake is almost the same, just in default OS security template there is no gcc available for non-root user. This must be changed before installation, that could create problems for beginners.

> But whatever. The point is, people asked a lot about RH9, so that's what got
> written about.

I was not suggesting that your paper is useless, just recommendation of maybe easier way how to get running Oracle in Linux env.

--
with regards

Dusan Bolek