Re: 9.2.0.4 Redhat AS vs HP-UX 11i vs Windows

From: <alcesteatxmissiondot_at_com.or.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:15:23 +0000 (UTC)

> As an aside, most of the certified 'commercial' distros are based on the
> 2.2 kernel but the new Redhat Enterprise 3.0 has been certified and is
> based on 2.4.  So if you want a more up-to-date distribution that is
> certified this may be the one to go for.

This was probably a minor mistake, but this hasn't been true for a while. I think all the distributions Oracle supports use the 2.4 kernel...but RE 3.0 uses what's essentially the 2.6 kernel.

My experiences with SuSE have been limited, but I have Oracle 9iAS and 9iDB running on several RHAT AS2.1 servers and the install is as easy as Suns if you follow the directions. Of course, this is a few hundred bucks to purchase, but if you want the same level of simplicity that's what you get. The 9iAS install is crap, of course, but that's not Redhat's fault.

>> I've installed on Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX in the past and never really
>> had any major problems other than getting root access. If anyone here
>> is using Linux, I'm curious at to whether you have problems with the
>> Oracle Management Server, Intelligent Agent, running OEM on Linux,
>> etc. It's these little things that get you. Any known problems with
>> certain Linux desktop environments?

Nope. Using all of those with no problems. The one annoyance is the need to use xvfb with the web OEM, but that's a problem with all UNIX versions (cept maybe Apple?).

>> I don't want to recommend it only to find later on that I shot myself
>> in the foot. Is there anything like HP-UX's SAM on Linux?

Depending on the distribution there's lots of options. Redhat has a whole set of redhat-config-* scripts which probably come the closest to the SAM.

Jer Received on Fri Nov 14 2003 - 00:15:23 CST