Re: 9.2.0.4 Redhat AS vs HP-UX 11i vs Windows

From: pheonix1t <dangeru98dousdt_at_ATsbcglobal.DOTnet>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:23:38 GMT

Domenic G. wrote:
> I'm trying to put together a document for my boss listing the pros and
> cons of Oracle on Windows vs. Oracle on Linux.
>
> I've seen at least one benchmark demonstrate a 40% performance
> improvment on Linux (vs. Windows) using identical hardware. The only
> thing that worries me about Linux is I've seen a lot of posts here
> recently where people have had enormous trouble just installing the
> thing (and had to start changing files, etc.).
>
> I've installed on Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX in the past and never really
> had any major problems other than getting root access. If anyone here
> is using Linux, I'm curious at to whether you have problems with the
> Oracle Management Server, Intelligent Agent, running OEM on Linux,
> etc. It's these little things that get you. Any known problems with
> certain Linux desktop environments?
>
> I don't want to recommend it only to find later on that I shot myself
> in the foot. Is there anything like HP-UX's SAM on Linux?

I've worked on solaris, hpux as well as suse and redhat. For running oracle, I recommend suse instead of redhat. It is SO much better it's not even funny! I've installed oracle on suse and redhat since versions 7.1! Redhat is a PITA, suse is the complete opposite. Recently redhat has gotten better, but suse still has superior products. I've installed oracle 9i on the latest suse enterprise server 8...it's almost as easy as installing oracle on windows! (This includes the application server!).

http://www.suse.com/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/matrix.html

just read the documents that pertain to your version of suse and your ready! (pretty much same as oracle stuff....read the docs first before poking around...except suse's docs are easier to read and a lot less to read too!)

http://www.suse.com/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/documents.html

good luck!

Oskar

ps. Suse's "SAM" is YAST...YAST is very nice. http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking/yast_ethernet.shtml http://www.suse.de/en/private/products/suse_linux/i386/yast.html

Redhat doesn't really have a "management" tool set. RPM's is about the closest you get. http://www.rpm.org/ There are things like webmin or linuxconf (this is old). Unfortunately I have also worked on SCO...they have scoadmin.