Re: Auto Startup Shutdown Problem

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:54:41 +0000

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:33:55 +0000, DOKNIK wrote:

> All,
> I am trying to implement the Oracle auto startup/shutdown scripts on our Unix server
> using the instructions and scripts supplied by Oracle ie Oracle
> Installation guide but this does not seem to work.
>
> I am running HP version (HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 721957645
> unlimited-user license)and Oracle version 9.2.0.3
>
> Please see below a copy of the dbora scriptI am using .I have always
> done this successfully on Solaris, but this is my first time doing this
> on HP, is there anything else i need to do?, Am i missing any steps,
> perhaps the Oracle manual didnt mention? I have edited /etc/oratab
> making all databases to be autostarted or autostopped .
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<SNIP>

Well, I have to say that this script never worked for me in HPUX 10.20 or 11.00 either on any of my 5 HP servers. Some databases would be started others weren't. Totally random. The listener always came up though !

In the end, I documented the fact that it didn't work correctly, removed it from the startup scripts and our server restart procedures documented that a run of dbstart and lsnrctl start was required from the highest Oracle version installed on the server.

Mind you, our HP boxes had uptimes measured in years so this wasn't much of a problem. The Sun boxes, on the other hand, were complete b*gg*rs and failed regularly.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.