Re: RMAN questions...

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:14:05 GMT

> Because the *backup* takes less time. And less space.

But you still need a baseline, or full backup. That space is taken up no matter what. And now I've got a full backup and an incremental backup as opposed to just one full backup. Since the space for any backup is greater than zero units, these mean a full and any incrementals takes more space than just a full. The presence/absence of archived redo logs does make a difference in this equation though.

If taking less time to backup is a major factor then why do the incremental at all? Isn't that just wasting time? No incremental backup tonight means zero time spent doing the backup tonight. You still need a baseline which has to be taken at some time. Since you had to take the time to do the baseline, why not achieve savings of time by not doing the incrementals after that?

I see your points. But I also see the *recovery* side of the coin too. After all, considering a backup strategy without considering the recovery strategy is to take the slippery slope.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com