RMAN questions...

From: Steve Howard <stephen.howard_at_us.pwcglobal.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2003 13:33:32 -0800

Hello All,

Oracle 8.1.7.4.1
HP-UX 11.11

We are moving towards using RMAN, and I would like to know the following:

Let's say for arguments sake that I created a full database backup from RMAN one week ago, and then did incremental RMAN backup's nightly as well as archived all of my redo logs. Using exactly the same setup on another machine (OS, database version, size, etc.) , I do a full hot backup one week ago, and then archive all of my redo logs for the following week.

Assuming all other things are equal (I understand the other benefits of RMAN such as block corruption detection, backing up only changed blocks, etc.), which one _should_ take longer to restore? Is RMAN architected to reassemble a database without restoring the full backup, then running through all of the incrementals, and then applying all of the archived redo? If so (or if not), is this much faster than just doing a regular old hot backup? Or is this apples and oranges?

Thanks,

Steve Received on Wed Nov 12 2003 - 15:33:32 CST