Re: Auto Startup Shutdown Problem

From: DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:38:33 -0000

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:r1p4rvc2564332470rq3a8o36qteqiht42_at_4ax.com...
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:47:25 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
>

> >"DOKNIK" <dominiqs_at_o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> >All,
> >I am trying to implement the Oracle auto startup/shutdown scripts on our
> >Unix server using the instructions and scripts supplied by Oracle ie
Oracle
> >Installation guide but this does not seem to work.
> >
> >I am running HP version (HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 721957645
unlimited-user
> >license)and Oracle version 9.2.0.3
> >
> >Please see below a copy of the dbora scriptI am using .I have always done
> >this successfully on Solaris, but this is my first time doing this on HP,
is
> >there anything else i need to do?, Am i missing any steps, perhaps the
> >Oracle manual didnt mention?
> >I have edited /etc/oratab making all databases to be autostarted or
> >autostopped .
> >
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> ># cat dbora
> >#!/bin/sh
> >
> ># Set ORA_HOME to be equivalent to the $ORACLE_HOME
> ># from which you wish to execute dbstart and dbshut;
> >#
> ># Set ORA_OWNER to the user id of the owner of the
> ># Oracle database in ORA_HOME.
> >#ORA_HOME=/ora8_01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7
> >#ORA_OWNER=oracle8
> >
> >==================
> >
> >Please don't post in HTML! Lots of readers can't or won't be allowed to
cope
> >with it.
> >
> >Your problem wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the lines to
> >set the variables for ORA_HOME and ORA_OWNER are still commented out in
this
> >example, would it??
> >
> >Regards
> >HJR
> >
> >===================
> >

> >export ORA_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.3
> >export ORA_OWNER=oracle
> >
> >if [ ! -f $ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart ]
> >then
> > echo "Oracle startup: cannot start"
> > exit
> >fi
> >case "$1" in
> > 'start')
> > # Start the Oracle databases:
> > # The following command assumes that the oracle login
> > # will not prompt the user for any values
> > su - $ORA_OWNER -c $ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart &
> >
> ># su - $ORA_OWNER -c $ORA_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start &
> > ;;
> > 'stop')
> > # Stop the Oracle databases:
> > # The following command assumes that the oracle login
> > # will not prompt the user for any values
> > su - $ORA_OWNER -c $ORA_HOME/bin/dbshut &
> >
> ># su - $ORA_OWNER -c $ORA_HOME/bin/lsnrctl stop &
> > ;;
> >esac
> >

> Now *I'm* confused. Like the OP, I've gotten comfortable (not
> proficient) with Solaris, but have never seen HP. Don't the commands
>
> export ORA_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.3
> export ORA_OWNER=oracle
>
> set the environment variables, or do they have to be set
> (ORA_HOME=/u01/...., etc.) before they can be EXPORTed?

no exporting like that is fine. What directorys is this dbora script linked into (off the top of my head /sbin/rc2.d?). Does it have execute permission, are there any active connections in the database as a dbstart only does shutdown normal (did in 8i) anyway

you could tee this to the console and watch what happens when the machine comes up or gets shutdown to see whats being called Received on Wed Nov 12 2003 - 13:38:33 CST