Re: howto drop a corrupt database ?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:14:12 GMT

> Then back to the statement that started this branch of the thread
> (that a DROP DATABASE command would require OMF to be able to clean up
> the data files) . . . I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is"
> is .. ;-)

I still can't believe that this very statement was uttered, under oath, by a past leader of our country. I remember watching that on tv. I literally rolled off the couch cuz I was laughing so hard.

> I took that statement to mean that it was thought that Oracle is
> inherently unable to drop OS files, thus the developers would not be
> *able* to implement dropping of OS files. I guess others read it to
> mean that the developers would *choose* not to implement dropping of
> OS files, thus making OMF a prerequisite to using a proposed DROP
> DATABASE command.
>
> It should be obvious that Oracle has the ability to both create and
> drop OS files. Now, how the developers choose to make use of that
> with any particular command (CREATE | DROP TABLESPACE, CREATE | DROP
> DATABASE) is another matter. I take it as a matter of "can't" vs.
> "won't", but I guess if "won't" is implemented in the commands, the
> difference becomes a moot point.

I see it as a matter of "won't" over "can't". It is clear that they can code the DDL statement to drop the datafile(s) even if it is not OMF. The DROP TABLESPACE INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES command does just this. A file does not have to be OMF for this to be the case. So "can't" is not the reason. That only leaves us with "won't".

Cheers, Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"