Re: RMAN Compession (Again)

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2003 06:56:15 -0800

Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.11.11.20.05.49.177225_at_seiler.us>...
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:05:35 -0800, Pete's wrote:
>
> > I may have missed it in an earlier post, but, why don't you write
> > directly to tape and skip the compression? If you have Veritas NB or
> > Legato, you should be able to turn compression on for writing to tape.
> > Write to tape directly instead of backing up to Disk and then backing
> > up that backup to tape. Seems a little convulted to me.
>
> Wouldn't that take an incredibly long time?

I perform hot cumulative incrementals during the week, weekly Full Hot Backups on the weekends and monthly cold backups on the weekend with two tape channels allocated. Currently this DB is 25GB, it takes just under an hour for a full hot backup with no tape compression. This is runs over a 10/100 nic to a site approx 3 miles away. It takes even less time when I skip read only tablespaces.

HTH,
Pete's Received on Wed Nov 12 2003 - 08:56:15 CST