Re: Oracle 9i R2 and Red Hat 9 Linux x86

From: Phil Britton <phil_at_phil-britton.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2003 10:23:33 +0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> writes:

> "Carl" <carl_theblue_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > Thanks for you help ,
> > About question no 2 , I bought red had linux 9 unleashed book and it
> > comes with 2 CDs of linux , the book does not mention the type ( ie
> > prof, AS ,ES and WS ) of linux are on the CDs ,
> > So that is why I dont know what type of Linux I have , I thought there
> > might me a way to find out.
>
> If it's supplied free with a book, then it's just boring old 'workstation'
> Red Hat 9, not an 'enterprise' or 'advanced server' version (since they cost
> huge amounts of cash). It's the same version as you can/could download for
> free from redhat.com.
>
> Oracle will still run on it, with a bit of arm-twisting. See www.dizwell.com
> for info on how.

If it's only on two CDs it doesn't sound like it's full distribution of RH9. That normally comes on three CDs. Which means that there could be some important stuff missing. The cheapest way to get a full distro on 3CDs is to get Pink Tie Linux. This is exactly the same as RH9 but with Redhat's copyrighted material removed. I've had Oracle 9iR2 installed and running on this (for educational purposes only :-) and as long as you follow some of the instructions that are around the web, like Howard's, you should be OK. As I seem to recall I had to edit the make file at the link step, as a lot of people mention, and had to create a file "/etc/rac" (I think) to get dbca to run. I didn't keep notes when I did it so sorry if this is a bit vague

cheers

Phil Received on Wed Nov 12 2003 - 04:23:33 CST