Re: question on opinions/reviews of oracle online library

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:15:10 +1100

"pheonix1t" <dangeru98dousdt_at_ATsbcglobal.DOTnet> wrote in message news:YNisb.3145$Ux2.1371812930_at_newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> hello,
> do any of the regulars here use the oracle online library? I was
> browsing it earlier today and it looks like a pretty good deal. It's
> about $300 per year and it has around 400 online courses. They even
> have CBT's (self study software) - even these look decent...but I've
> never heard anyone giving reviews or opinions on this stuff.
>
> Is this a decent substitute for something like a good university course
> or is it better as an enhancement to the univ. course?

Personally, I think it's merely (at best) an enhancement or a reinforcer for something you've learnt elsewhere. But some people like this sort of technology-based training, and respond well to it. You may be one of them.

All Oracle instructors are now required to promote the online library as part of each training course (you get a brief, free trial subscription if you attend an instructor-led course). I wouldn't do that unless I'd seen the material myself, so I had quite a detailed look at it, though not (obviously) at everything. What I found was fairly lightweight and rather superficial, and I personally wouldn't waste any money on it. Better stuff is available elsewhere on the Internet for free.

But it's as ever a balance between the one-stop-shop and the interminable search through Google; the security that comes from having the 'authorised version' compared with not ever being quite sure whether the freebie site you found somewhere actually knows what they're talking about.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 11 2003 - 23:15:10 CST