Re: Why don't we have a charter (was: New Oracle monitoring tool ...)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2003 16:44:01 -0800

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3fb08ba2$1$9511$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:3FB07AB4.6487DBB_at_yahoo.net...
>

> > I really don't understand why we would need to post that information
> > regularly. Is internet searching really all that complicated that
> > people can't do it on their own?

Well, yes, it is, until they get the hang of it. It is common on other groups to have a such periodic post, and in fact I just did a search for a charter for this group, and the only thing out there is mine. cdo.server has orafaq.com listed as a periodic posting for this group - and is that what this group wants? How easy is it to get info about this group on orafaq?

> and these are the same who want to learn how to be DBAs?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. While we know that cdo.server is supposed to be for DBA's, that's only obvious from the charter. A lot of posts are from people who simply need dba help. Some posts aren't dba related at all, but are relevant to Oracle server technologies and to this group.

> Quite frankly, Usenet etiquette and newsgroup charters
> are as easy to obtain as a quick search on google.

Is ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/databases/oracle/server/%5BFAQ%5D_Oracle_Database_FAQ really informative for newbies here? I think Frank does an excellent job, but it just doesn't address our issues. Maybe a specific set of cdo* links on the home page there might be an answer...

> For just about ANY Usenet newsgroup. Private newsgroups
> are of course a different matter, but this one isn't.
> I can't see the point of FAQs in a IT technical group
> such as this one...

Think how many times Sybrand has told someone off, Daniel has said tahiti, Howard has complained about how we just went around that subject. Then whomever they were responding to has to go through a flamage cycle. The point is to avoid or shorten that cycle. Most people come here wanting to learn something specific and are willing to follow directions. The minority who, well, you know, wang chung with them with a gang-faq. Can't really worry about those with an "agenda," that's another issue entirely.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Works as documented:
select 10E33*2*4*5+1/2*3/5 from dual;