Re: Jinitiator and ssl: SSL handshake failed

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:20:51 +0100

Joop Gijsbers wrote:

> For a client i need an ssl connection ; i got the certificate and
> implemented it.
>
> Normal ssl connections works fine, but connections with Oracle
> Jinitiator gives problems: SSL handshake failed error.:
>
> Opening https://[url]/forms60java/f60all_jinit.jar no
> proxyjavax.net.ssl.SSLException: SSL handshake failed:
> X509CertChainIncompleteErr at
> oracle.security.ssl.OracleSSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(OracleSSLSocketImpl.java) at
> oracle.jinitiator.protocol.https.HttpsClient.doConnect(HttpsClient.java:128) at
> sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:272) at
> sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:344) at
> sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:212) at
> sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:216) at
> sun.plugin.protocol.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:58) at
> oracle.jinitiator.protocol.https.HttpsClient.<init>(HttpsClient.java:36) at
> oracle.jinitiator.protocol.https.HttpsClient.New(HttpsClient.java:52) at
> sun.plugin.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:109) at
> sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Compiled
> Code) at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.openConnectionCheckRedirects(Compiled
> Code) at sun.applet.JARCache.beginStoring(JARCache.java:425) at
> sun.applet.AppletResourceLoader.loadJar(AppletResourceLoader.java:215) at
> sun.applet.JinitAppletPanel.loadJarFiles(Compiled Code) at
> sun.plugin.AppletViewer.loadJarFiles(Compiled Code) at
> sun.applet.JinitAppletPanel.runLoader(JinitAppletPanel.java:580) at
> sun.applet.JinitAppletPanel.run(Compiled Code) at
> java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:466)
>
> I looked at Metalink, and got a note - 147836.1, How to make
> Jinitiator work with Apache with SSL (HTTPS). But the solution in that
> note - modifications in the certdb.txt in in Program
> Files\oracle\Jinitiator 1.1.8.x\lib\security on the client does not
> work.
>
> Anyone a clue? Thanks.
>
> Jinitiator version: 1.1.8.16
> Oracle Ias: 9i Release 1 (v1.0.2.2.2a) for Windows NT/2000
Let me guess - you have a certificate from Verisign?

Then you only have half the certificate - the other half is built in into most browsers.
Get a HTML page with the certificate, view it, and export the master (other half) certificate - that's the X509Incomplete error you get.

Then you have to do some extra X509 configs, which I'm not familiar with for JInitiator.

Could give you the 9iAS settings tho, if interested.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel