Re: RMAN Compession (Again)

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:40:20 +0100

Don Seiler wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:21:21 +1100, Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>>Going back to your original post. You mentioned the backup getting to 100+
>>GB and running out of space.
>>
>>Have you considered doing incremental backups with RMAN??
>>
>>That only backs up those blocks which have changed since the last backup
>>(with various rules about the incremental level to determine which original
>>backup is consulted to work out what's changed).
>>
>>You would still need a full backup on a regular basis to provide the
>>"baseline" against which the incremental deltas are compared. So it may be
>>of no use to you.

> Yes I have considered it but the fact that I still need the full, or level
> 0, backup brings me back to the original problem.
>

>>But it would be a shame to turn your back on RMAN, because you'd miss out on
>>such wonders as block-level recovery, corruption checking during the backup,
>>automated fixing of corruption detected during a backup, backups done in
>>parallel, no clobbering of LGWR during the hot backup, and so on.

> I agree.
>

>>100GB of disk space can't be that expensive, can it??
>>

> You are probably right. What I plan to do, and didn't mention earlier,
> was get a new hotbackup (not RMAN) script in place so we can be running
> Oracle9i by the end of the year. Then when the dust settles I'll work on
> an RMAN solution.
>
> Let me know what you think.

Go RMAN - it's fast! I get a 30G 11.5 apps db backed up to tape in about half an hour - full backup, mind you, inclusive archived redo logs file (about 3.5G)
Let RMAN decide what do remove from disk; check out the 'report obsolete xx' option, output to report, run grep, sed and run the script to delete what is not needed anymore, from either disk, or tape.
--
Regards, Frank van Bortel