Re: modifying and adding columns to a big table

From: Rob Cowell <rjc4687_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:42:52 +0000 (UTC)

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> 2. 1.3M rows is so small it is hardly worth partitioning. This is a very
> small table. I hope
> you didn't expend the money for EE just for this.

That's a bit of a generalistaion. Partitioning can be for performance, not just administration.

I work with some similar sized (assuming his rows aren't 4Mb each, why do people quote table sizes in numbers of rows?) tables that are hit hundreds of times a day to read about a 10th of all the rows for report generation, depending on the value of a certain key. Partitioning on that key drastically reduces scan times, because we don't need to scan the whole table, but an index wouldn't be selective enough to be worth using. Received on Tue Nov 11 2003 - 03:42:52 CST