Re: Why don't we have a charter (was: New Oracle monitoring tool ...)

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:16:36 +1100

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:3FB07AB4.6487DBB_at_yahoo.net...
> "Jaap W. van Dijk" wrote:
> >
> > My suggestion: why isn't there a charter with aims of the newsgroup
> > and behavioural rules that is posted regularly in the newsgroup (once
> > a day, once a week?) like I have seen in other newsgroups?
> >
> > Jaap.
>
> Ummmmmm - there is a charter. it's been around for a loooooong time.
> The vote to create the 5 groups cdo/cdo.{tools misc server marketplace}
> took place December 1996. Prior to that there was a published charter
> for cdo [comp.database.oracle].
>
> To find the charter and the aims of the groups, all a person really has
> to do is use a search engine and enter 'comp.databases.oracle charter'
> to get the first part of your request answered. (Is it really necessary
> to post it regularily?)
>
> As far as posting behaviour suggestions, I really don't think this
> newsgroup wants behaviour any different than any other newsgroup. That
> means the standard 'Emily Post' stuff is valid - again, anyone could use
> a search engine and enter 'newsgroup etiquette' and get the answer. (If
> we start posting the netiquette, I'm sure we'll get into the top/bottom
> post wars - again!)
>
> I really don't understand why we would need to post that information
> regularly. Is internet searching really all that complicated that
> people can't do it on their own?
>
> /Hans

I vote for a short, sharp FAQ that says:

"The following groups are available... and this is what they are used for...

Then: visits these sites and do some searching before posting a question (and then list tahiti.oracle.com, google.com, jlcomp and asktom. Add other sites if people clamour for it).

Then : Never post without details of an operating system and an Oracle version, because answers are often frequently highly-version dependent."

Anything longer than about 15 lines isn't going to be worth the bother.

And that would be about it. I agree that for the rest, commonsense and standard netiquette should prevail.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 11 2003 - 00:16:36 CST