Re: Why don't we have a charter (was: New Oracle monitoring tool ...)

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:11:25 +1100

"Oracle Unix Guy" <oracleunix_at_nospam.dbaoracle.net> wrote in message news:slrnbr0rp5.lg.oracleunix_at_zr1.vista1.sdca.cox.net...
> On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 07:22:05 +0100, Jaap W. van Dijk
> <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl> wrote:
> >On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:27:14 GMT, "Scott Mattes"
> ><Scott_at_TheMattesFamily.ws> wrote:
> >
> >>How is someone who is brand new to know that there is such a thing as a
FAQ?
> >>And how would they find it if they even had a glimmer that one might be
> >>around? It is not like there is a comp.databases.oracle.faq and since
> >>subscribing to a list does not require any permissions it is not like
there
> >>is a guideance email provided at sign up.
> >
> >My suggestion: why isn't there a charter with aims of the newsgroup
> >and behavioural rules that is posted regularly in the newsgroup (once
> >a day, once a week?) like I have seen in other newsgroups?
>
> I've been intending on doing this for a while, but have been
procrastinating
> until I get the web page done. This post is good for kicking me in the
butt.
> So, any suggestions send to rtfm_at_nospam.dbaoracle.net, and remove the
nospam,
> or post a followup. The webpage is a work in progress, so comments about
it
> are also solicited to the addresses there ( http://www.dbaoracle.net ).
>
> My general intent is to have a meta-faq oriented towards new posters, as
> a supplement to all the other faqs out there. Those faqs all have their
> good and bad points, but none are really oriented towards newbies. This
> metafaq will be a brief "start here" doc, and there will be an expanded
one
> on the website.
>
> So just off the top of my head:
>
> Read this first, brief summary of what groups are about.
> Summary of charter and link to charter.
> Explanation of what behavior is expected on the group, and links to
netiquette
> faqs.
> Lists of faqs and their audience/strengths (send weaknesses to the
> maintainers! :-)
> Lewis' Cooperative faq
> orafaq
> ixora
> Lydian Third
> Connor's
> (it's been a long day, brain shutdown abort, please email any others,
> I will be googling and surfing, but not tonight.)
> Docs and how to use them.
> Help sites
> metalink & technet
> pipeline
> asktom
> (Yes, I'm struggling with the overlap between faq and help sites).
> Mailing lists (I've given up on them, so am counting on others opinions).
> A link to links on the webpage, which will include links to other's link
> pages (so send your faves).
>
> I would like to make this non-judgemental, but welcome opinions, strong
and
> otherwise, to make this useful.
>
> Let's get the ball rolling.
>
> http://www.dbaoracle.net

I hate to be a party-pooper, and I'm not really, but you can't link to Lydian Third. That material has been snazzled by someone who refuses to take it down. Whether they snazzled it from me (the author) or from Oracle Corporation (my employer at the time, and hence the claimed copyright holder) is immaterial: you could nevertheless get clobbered big time by the Corporation for linking to it (they have a habit of doing such things).

If you care to link to www.dizwell.com, I will re-write all that material (plus more) and thus get around the issue. But it won't happen overnight.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Nov 10 2003 - 23:11:25 CST