RMAN incarnations and duplicate for standby

From: Kaptain524 <Kaptain524_at_zxmail.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2003 10:04:09 -0800

Hello,

I am using RMAN to create a standby database using the DORECOVER option. The purpose of this is to create a point-in-time recovery of the primary database in a separate instance, leaving the original database untouched. But if the desired point in time is before the most recent RESETLOGS, I am unable to recover. After reading about database incarnations, it appears that RMAN must use a controlfile from the desired incarnation in order to recover. And to change incarnations, I should use the RESET DATABASE command.

The problem is that the RESET DATABASE command requires that the primary database be dismounted so it can change the controlfile to the desired incarnation. But I am trying to restore and recover on the auxiliary, not the primary database. I don't want to change anything on the primary database.

Since RMAN just needs a standby controlfile, is there any way I can get the correct incarnation of the controlfile without having to dismount the primary database? If I can restore a copy of the controlfile from the desired point in time, couldn't I just use that one for the standby controlfile? What I am really looking for is a way to do something like this:

RMAN> RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM 'media_handle' FOR STANDBY; or even better:
RMAN> RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM <date_time> FOR STANDBY;

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kaptain524 Received on Mon Nov 10 2003 - 12:04:09 CST