Re: Database Creation

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:35:23 +1100

"Olivier" <odirosso_at_kcc.com> wrote in message news:vquegbmmm0a3d3_at_corp.supernews.com...
> It is now a full week that I am trying to install and create a database
> without any success.
>
> I believe I have read all there was to read on the web and news group
about
> oracle problems but I think I am missing something.
>
> Yes I use a Pentium 4 with windows 2000 and need to install Oracle 8i
v8.1.7
> from a CD.
>

> How do we clean the PC of all unsuccessful install?

Stop all Oracle-related services manually using the Services applett. Delete all files in the oracle installation directory. Then use regedit to locate all the services related to Oracle, and manually remove them. Reboot machine.

> How do we get rid of the JAVA bug?

Sure you read everything on the web about this?? Only the answer's been posted here many, many times... so a quick visit to google.com will tell you what you need to know. I just typed the words 'oracle pentium 4 bug' there, and the very first link explained how to workaround the problem (in admittedly a rather complicated way). The second link had the workaround I've happily used (hint: copy installation to CD and hunt down all references to symcjit.dll.

> How do we create a successful database?

Get an install working correctly first. Then it's just a question of running the Database Configuration Assistant (dbca at the command prompt if you can't find your way around the menu options).

[almighty snip]

> I have modified these files and reproduced the problem but how do we
analyse
> the traces generated and what do we do about it.

Lord knows why you are tracing stuff in the way you described. Either it works, or it doesn't work, and if you are suffering the Pentium 4 bug, it won't work until you do the symcjit.dll workaround. You'll want an installation that goes through to 100% without error. Then you use dbca to create a new database, and that should go through without error. Nowhere should you be getting networking error messages requring Oracle Net8 tracing, until such time as you try and connect to your new database from a remote, networked, second PC.

Regards
HJR