Re: connectivity - integration Oracle - SQL server

From: pheonix1t <dangeru98dousdt_at_ATsbcglobal.DOTnet>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:35:31 GMT

ITAPORT06 wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> Thank u very much for your response.
> Sybrand: As I said we are currently on Oracle with third party
> products that
> are ported to Oracle. We are pleased with Oracle and it was the
> standard database in our organization. We found out that we are always
> play a 2nd role with the vendors of the packages we are using. The
> first new releases and patches are always for SQL server. So far no
> problem we can live with this. BUTTTTT !!
>
> We want to replace our back office applications and all the preferred
> vendors on the short list are only supporting SQL server.
>
> Sybrand: " Guess you will most benefit from locking yourself in the
> closed world
> of Microsoft. "
>
> I hope that u will understand that the business is making the money
> and that not database platform is making the choice which application
> is the best for the business.
>
> I really value your highly skilled Oracle knowledge but if questions
> like mine passes about MS SQL server or whatever: then you get "
> emotionally involved ". And that is a pity.
>
> Our consultant who is mentioning about the MS .NET is totally not
> involved with Microsoft and doesn't care if we using UNIX, MS, Oracle,
> DB2 or SQL server
> but he is facing a dilemma. Our current ported applications run on
> Oracle DB but are originally SQL server products and the new
> applications to buy (which will have to talk with the current
> applications) are only available on QL server.
>
> The current applications can be replaced moving them to their original
> SQL server background. According to our consultant .NET would be the
> easiest way to
> Integrate all these applications with each other. This is the issue.
> I hope u will understand that I'm not promoting SQl server but only
> tries to find a solution for our situation.
> U cannot tell to the business " guys we do not give you the best
> available application products on the market because they are not
> running on Oracle database "
> Sybrand, I hope u get my point and please do not get emotionally
> involved. Once again I appreciate what u do here on the forum and I
> have made use of help myself in the past frequently.
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:42:54 +0100, ITAPORT06 <mokat67_at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I have a question about connectivity between different databases.
>>Oracle, DB2400 and SQL_server.
>>
>>It is easy to integrate application products that are running on
>>different DB platforms?
>>What products can be used to achieve this?  Our consultant is
>>mentioning .NET but then we have to run everything on SQL server.
>>
>>Currently we are running on Oracle but our third party generic
>>applications are first developed for SQL server and later ported to
>>Oracle (So Oracle has no priority for them)

> [...]

This may be true...but it depends. Oracle has A LOT of tools to integrate with other databases as well as applications. We've used Macromedia's ColdFusion on many job sites to integrate different databases/data silos into a single custom application or ERP system (integrating legacy/incompatible data silos into new or main ERP system). I don't know all the details of your situation, but it does seem like this consultant of yours is pushing .NET I could be wrong, but this is what it seems like. If the consultant were really good, he/she could DEFINATELY integrate between Oracle and MS SQL WITHOUT using .NET...this is a common database environment in many datacenters!   How do you think this sort of work has been done all these years before .NET came out? The issue with using .NET is that it ties you into MS products on the server. In these situations, we've used Java due to it's advantage of giving you independance of the database and the operating system. (ColdFusion also gives you this advantage). Received on Sun Nov 09 2003 - 20:35:31 CST