Users identified externally

From: Toby Edwards <toby.edwards_at_technical-it.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2003 13:01:18 -0800

I am trying to get users identified externally to work on a Win2k machine which is part of a workgroup rather than a domain. The version of Oracle I'm using is Personal 8.1.7. My goal is to run a Forms application without having to enter a username or password.

I have set in sqlnet.ora
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS) In init.ora
remote_login_password_file = none
os_authent_prefix = ""
remote_os_authent = FALSE

In the readmedoc.htm file it mentions starting the NT LM Security Support Provider service (which was manual and is now running), for native Windows 2000 authentication.

I am logged in to the Win2k box (as the OS user Toby Edwards) and have create an Oracle user

create user "Toby Edwards" identified externally; grant connect, resource to "Toby Edwards";

sqlplus (from Command Prompt) fails
ORA-01004: default username feature not support; logon denied

I have tried creating the user all in UPPERCASE, but no cigar ...

At a loss, any help greatly appreciated.

Toby Received on Sun Nov 09 2003 - 15:01:18 CST