Re: Episode 2: the EntMgr Green Light!!

From: Domenic G. <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2003 07:51:41 -0800

If you delete from the parent table and there is no index on the fk in the child, the child table will get a share lock, preventing other exclusive locks -- this can lead to chaos. Also the share lock won't kick in until there are no other locks on that table.

The index should be there unless the parent table is read only. As for the index rebuilding stuff, like I said, the main argument comes from a pctfree setting that is too low -- don't blame the rebuild itself.

Dom.