Dupicate with Rman and Oracle 8.1.5 hangs

From: Nadav <geminiraz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2003 05:30:12 -0800

Hi all,
Wanting to test Oracle's RMAN without touching our Production Database (running on Oracle Server 8.1.5 with SunOS 5.8). I'm trying to first, duplicate the database to another machine. Since the other machine does not have enough diskspace I've created a mount point to linux PC machine which is NFS accessible both to the production and the test machines.
Backing up with RMAN using NFS to the linux machine demonstrates no problem.

However trying to duplicate the database does not succeed. What I'm trying to do is create the new Instance where the Instace will run on the test-SunOS 5.8 machine - while the datafiles will reside on the linux via NFS.
RMAN starts running and creates the "new" instance's datafiles on the mounted linux using NFS. When RMAN is supposed to create the control files and start mounting-restoring the "new" instance - it reports the following errors even though there is no communication errors at all:

RMAN-08024: channel bktest4: restore complete
RMAN-08023: channel bktest2: restored backup piece 1
RMAN-08511: piece handle=/BACKUP/EZFACE/backup/full_backups/35508645253
params=N
ULL
RMAN-08024: channel bktest2: restore complete

RMAN-03022: compiling command: sql

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00601: fatal error in recovery manager
RMAN-03012: fatal error during compilation of command
RMAN-03028: fatal error code: 3015
RMAN-03013: command type: Duplicate Db
RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: sql
RMAN-06004: ORACLE error from recovery catalog database: ORA-03113: end-of-file
on communication channel
RMAN-06097: text of failing SQL statement: begin dbms_rcvman . resetAll ; dbms_r
cvman . set_package_constants ; :
RMAN-06099: error occurred in source file: krmk.pc, line: 14406

Any one has any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Nadav Received on Sun Nov 09 2003 - 07:30:12 CST