Re: Migration

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 07:57:38 +0100

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:47:31 -0000, "A. Teles" <ateles_at_netcabo.pt> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Could someone please help me?
>
>Assumption situation - Platform migration of Oracle DW on Oracle DB (data
>volume 3.5 TB) from HP-UX to IBM-AIX
>
> 1.. DB migration; it is correct to use Export/Import technique/method in
>the above assumption?
> 2.. Witch is the time frame in a worst case for this (how many hours,
>days or weeks!!)?
> 3.. It is possible to apply the mentioned technique or some other (witch
>one?) in uptime, totally or partially?
> 4.. Witches are the main tasks to consider in a planning schedule?
> 5.. Witches are the time frames associated to these tasks?
>
>Thanks
>Arménio Teles

Hi,

I've come across this problem once (1 TB). We decided on a different strategy: from a certain day new data was loaded on the new database every day and data that was over the age limit on the old database was dropped every day. On the new database we created a link to the old one and devised cunning views referencing the new data and the old data over the link in such a way that this was transparent for the application. There were a lot of difficulties to overcome, but in the end it worked and we had no down time at all. We used to keep a half year of data so after this period the old database was empty and we changed the configuration of the new database into the permanent one.

Jaap. Received on Sun Nov 09 2003 - 00:57:38 CST