Re: Episode 2: the EntMgr Green Light!!

From: Domenic G. <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2003 19:01:31 -0800

Guys,

This is a bunch of BS. If your system is read-only most of the time, DSS, OLAP, then rebuilding your indexes after a huge load of data increases read performance -- don't tell me it doesn't. Smaller index, less I/O.

Second, if the index starts growing again too quickly, the pctfree setting used on the rebuild was too low. The rebuild is not the culprit, you didn't use the correct setting. The base of the index is much better after a rebuild -- go write a b tree routine and you'll see for yourself.

Geez, you guys make a mountain out of a mole hill. Thank God I'm the only DBA in my shop. Next thing you'll say it's not a good idea to index FKs. Received on Sat Nov 08 2003 - 21:01:31 CST