Re: "Mirroring" of DBF files

From: rpr <renu_p_r_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2003 17:35:06 -0800

Hi UNIX admin,
  Are you moving the whole database? How many files are you moving? You have already got very valid and good suggestions. HEre is one more :

Basically you can use the hot backup approach along with the 'offline .... rename .... online' already suggested.

  1. Put the tablespace in hot backup mode.
  2. Copy the datafiles at the OS level to the new location.
  3. Put the tablespace out of backup mode.
  4. Put the tablespace datafiles offline.
  5. Rename all of them to the new files at new location.
  6. Recover tablespace
  7. Put the datafiles tablespace online.

This way you are only offline for the duration of the recovery not the entire copy. Good luck.

This will ofcourse mean a lot of manual effort if you do it one tablespace at a time. By extension you can offcourse do it in one shot for all the tablespaces to be moved.