Re: New Oracle monitoring tool ...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 06:58:47 +1100

"Scott Mattes" <Scott_at_TheMattesFamily.ws> wrote in message news:ReSqb.369$KN4.212776_at_news1.news.adelphia.net...
> Daniel,
> If one of your students does something 'really dumb', do you berate them
> in front of the whole class, or do you see them offline and enlighten
them?

Speaking for myself, and not Daniel, I berate them. Nicely, of course. But if a point's worth making, it's worth making to everyone.

I did try once to explain a particular point to just one person... and after the tea-break, found myself explaing it 3 more times to 3 others.

When the 5th person asked about it, enough was enough, and a public explanation was given.

On the substantive point, people can't (surely?) have been living under a rock for the past year or so. The levels of spam and other 'unsolicited commercial postings' have shot through the roof, and annoyed just about everyone. The US is busy passing anti-spam legislation. Australia is talking about it. Clearly, lots of people have had enough. So anyone sending electronic messages which are unsolicited and promoting a commercial product really ought to know what sort of response to expect, whatever a FAQ says.

For myself, I take no notice of such things. Click to clear the thing from the list of un-read posts, and immediately move on (so I have no idea what it is that you're selling). That should give one pause for thought, too: if it's a brilliant tool, it deserves better than a click-and-move-on response, so you're obviously missing your target audience.

Sounds like there are no winners on either side in such a situation, doesn't it?

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 13:58:47 CST