RMAN Compession (Again)

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:36:48 GMT

I know it's been asked again and again after searching the groups, but I do have to ask about my options.

On our Oracle7 database, our hot backup procedure basically puts each tablespace in backup mode and then copies and gzips the datafiles to the backup dir. The resulting backup dir is 27G.

So far using RMAN, the backup attempt has filled a 117G partition and fails, needing more.

I know that I can tell RMAN to break up the backup file into (for example) 1G files. Can I somehow gzip those files as they come off the line? This might be more of a shell-script question than Oracle but I thought I'd ask. Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 11:36:48 CST