Re: New Oracle monitoring tool ...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:10:09 -0800

Scott Mattes wrote:

>How is someone who is brand new to know that there is such a thing as a FAQ?
>And how would they find it if they even had a glimmer that one might be
>around? It is not like there is a comp.databases.oracle.faq and since
>subscribing to a list does not require any permissions it is not like there
>is a guideance email provided at sign up.
>

>"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Robert wrote:
>>

>>>Greetings ...
>>>
>>>I have programed Oracle monitoring tool based on Oracle thin driver
>>>and Java.
>>>

>>Too bad you also spammed us because now we are going to ignore you and
>>your tool
>>until such time as you apologize for spamming and repost to
>>comp.databases.oracle.marketplace.
>>
>>The very place you would have posted had you had the courtesy to read
>>the FAQ and
>>learn that this usenet group was created specifically to keep people
>>from doing exactly
>>what you did.
>>
>>We keep our usenet groups free by fighting spam. Please help us by
>>respecting our wishes.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>--
>>Daniel Morgan
>>http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
>>http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Everything in a civil society has rules around it. Surely you don't jump on an airplane for a
business trip and fly to Japan without investing a little time in learning things about Japan and
Japanese culture. Your learn, for example, that there is a difference between offering even
numbers vs odd numbers of an item as a gift ... and you try not to offend your host.

The internet, and the usenet are no different. The electronic world has existed for decades
and it is a reasonable expectation that someone visiting this electronic world knows something
about it or takes the time to investigate local customs.

And, as with the Japanese example, sure you would be appreciative if someone told you about
a social gaff so you would not repeat it and cause additional offense. Same thing here too.