RMAN Questions: Channels and Restores

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:30:43 GMT

I'm working with a test Oracle9i (HPUX) instance and working on practicing backups and recovery scenarios. Across reading the references docs on the Oracle site and some example RMAN scrips at dbaclick.com, I'm curious as to what extra benefit there is to be had in allocating multiple channels for a backup to disk, as opposed to just using RMAN's default single disk channel.

Also just to clarify in my mind, multiple channels does NOT mean multiple copies of the backup, right? The oracle doc said that "when backing up to disk you can allocate as many channels as necessary for maximum throughput." This sounds like allocating extra channels (up to a point) will decrease the backup time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also a question about restores. I believe that I've seen this on another post but I want to be sure in black-and-white. If I want to take a backup of my production database and restore it on to a test/training/dev/whatever machine, I need to put those backup files in the same file path as they were made on the prod machine, and then RMAN will automagically know everything it needs to know? Although I still have reading to do, I'll risk asking: How will RMAN know? Do I need to call RMAN with a param pointing to those backup files? If so, why would the files need to be in the same file path (not that it is a problem for me anyway)? Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 09:30:43 CST