Re: Interesting but URGENT Case: Online Backup which never gets consistent

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:06:01 GMT

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:6GMqb.948$aT.588_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Eric Tallas" <user_at_example.net> wrote in message
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have the (for me) interesting case that I have an online backup where
> > I can apply all the archived redo logs I have but the database will
> > never be consistent.
> > What have done:
> >
> > 1. alter tablespace ... begin backup;
> >
> > 2. cp datafiles to other machine
> >
> > 3. alter tablespace ... end backup;
> >
> > 4. ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO ...;
> >
> > 5. cp backup controlfile, init.ora, archived redo logs etc. to other
> machine
> >
> > On the other machine:
> >
> > 1. startup mount;
> >
> > 2. recover database using backup controlfile;
> >
> > 3. applied all the archived redo logs
> >
> > When I now try to open the database I always get the info that
> > system.dbf needs more recovery to be consistent.
> >
> > When I tried to create a new control file I get the following:
> >
> > SQL> RECOVER DATABASE
> > ORA-00279: change 566146715 generated at 11/07/2003 04:03:48 needed for
> > thread
> > 1
> > ORA-00289: suggestion : /shop/oracle/arch/ISTOY2/arch_1_6424.arc
> > ORA-00280: change 566146715 for thread 1 is in sequence #6424
> >

> > Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}
> > /shop/oracle/arch/ISTOY2/arch_1_6425.arc
> > ORA-00310: archived log contains sequence 6425; sequence 6424 required
> > ORA-00334: archived log: '/shop/oracle/arch/ISTOY2/arch_1_6425.arc'
> >
> > There seems to be a change# which is in none of the archived redo logs.
> >
> > Does anybody know how I can open this database or what might have gone
> > wrong during the backup? How can I trace the problem?
> >

> Hi Eric
>
> At your first attempt, you're kinda performing an incomplete recovery as
> you're using a backup control file. Oracle doesn't know when to "finish"
the
> recovery as the current control file can't be used to police consistency.
>
> Did you try simply performing a recovery until cancel and opening the
> database with resetlogs.
>
> If you truly did copy all your files across, the above should work.

Ooooppps, something I forgot to mention.

After you performed your online backup, did you make sure you archived the current online redo log and copied it across as well ?

You'll need all the redo logs generated during the backup to ensure that the database can resync itself. And that'll hence include the current online redo as well.

Cheers

Richard Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 07:06:01 CST