Re: Oracle eats up memory

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:15:02 -0800

Poh wrote:

>It is possible that the connections at the client were not closed.
>Please forgive my ignorance as I a newbie to programming with
>ADO and Oracle. I am taking over as the administrator and programmer
>have both left. Does ADO releases the connection only by closing the
>connection? I see that one of my clients have the connections that are
>closed
>only when the threads exit.
>
>I am not upgrading to 8.1.7 as I has just took over the system and I am not
>sure
>what are the implications of upgrading to 8.1.7. Are there any new bugs in
>8.1.7 that does not exist in 8.1.5.? Can I use the current odbc driver for
>my client
>after the upgrade? Is there any site that I can find answers to all these?
>Thanks.
>
>Poh
>
><snipped>

You are using an obsolete and no longer supported version of Oracle ... on an operating
system that is no longer supported by Microsoft and you wondering about the implications
of changing? How about the implications of staying where you are?

  1. Obsolete software
  2. Unsupported software
  3. Bugs long since fixed
  4. Resume that won't get you an IT job in many organizations

The implication of moving to 8.1.7.4 are more efficient optimizer, more capability, more speed,
more stability, more security, improved employability. I'd run not walk to my nearest Oracle rep.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu