Re: Migration

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 07:57:31 +0000

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:51:22 +0000, A. Teles wrote:

> Hi,

Morning Arménio,

> Could someone please help me?
>
> Assumption situation - Platform migration of Oracle DW on Oracle DB (data
> volume 3.5 TB) from HP-UX to IBM-AIX
>
> 1.. DB migration; it is correct to use Export/Import technique/method in
> the above assumption?

Export/import is the only way to do it if both databases live on different server types. Oracle datafiles are binary and there is no binary compatability between HPUX and AIX. If you try it out, you'll get an error when you open the database. I can't remember the actual error (I only did it once a while ago) but it is something like 'cannot find datafile xxxxx'.

> 2.. Witch is the time frame in a worst case for this (how many hours,
> days or weeks!!)?

This depends on how you do it. You might be able to export users in parallel and import them likewise. Do the imp with indexes off then build the indexes at the end usin a script you generate from the dump file and the INDEXFILE=myindexes.sql on a subsequent run of imp.

> 3.. It is possible to apply the mentioned technique or some other (witch
> one?) in uptime, totally or partially?

????

> 4.. Witches are the main tasks to consider in a planning schedule?

Usually plan the move, test the move then do it. Then test the results. However, with TB to move, testing the move might be problematical :o)

Can you migrate some schemas separately? If so do these first etc etc.

> 5.. Witches are the time frames associated to these tasks?
>
> Thanks
> Arménio Teles

HTH. Cheers,
Norm.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.