Re: Recompile invalid packages

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 04:31:02 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:3faae8f3$0$9221$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
--snip--

> > SQL> #select 'whatup with that first # sign?' from dual;
> >
> > 'WHATUPWITHTHATFIRST#SIGN?'
> > ------------------------------
> > whatup with that first # sign?
>

> Try this instead:
>
> SQL># The following commands will create a new control file and use it;
>
> SP2-0734: unknown command beginning "The follow..." - rest of line ignored.
>
> (And guess where that line comes from!)
>
> Now this:
>
> SQL> -- The following commands will create a new control file and use it;
> SQL>
>
> (So if only they'd been consistent, no errors would happen).
>
> I rest my case, your honour.
>
> Regards
> HJR
--snip--

I don't know why Oracle does not fix this bug in sqlplus wherein if # is the 1st character in the line .. it will go ahead and happily execute the rest of the statement (and throw error if its not a valid statement).

Its been there for so long now!

Anurag Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 22:31:02 CST