Re: SQL*net message from Client

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:15:05 +1100

"Vincento Harris" <wumutek_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2fa13ee7.0311061245.18cf27ea_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> HP UX Oracle 8i .Three tier peoplesoft on Oracle ..(Query run on IE)
>
> I had a query that ran for about about 5 minutes
> A trace (10046 level 12) was run and tkprof,trca.zip downloaded from
> Metalink were used to explain the trace.
> The stand out is SQL*Net message from client with a time
> of 293.83 seconds and that is about the time the query took to run.
> I considered changing tdu and sdu in the tnsnames files but have not
> done so yet .
> Any ideas will be appreciated.
>
> Vincento

"SQL Net message from client" usually just means you can't type fast enough! Given that they haven't yet invented the mind-reading module, the database has no choice but to wait to see what the user types in next. And that's what this wait event is reporting.

In your case, the database is waiting to hear back from the client, whilst the client is sitting there waiting for results to be returned from its last typing effort.

It's a bit of a null event, in other words. The problem will lie elsewhere. You'll need SQL execution plans to work out what is actually causing the wait on the backend, as opposed to the backend merely waiting for its next instruction.

You'll find that if the execution speeds up, so the wait on this message will go down (assuming that you type something else in immediately all the results are returned from the first query).

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 15:15:05 CST