Re: Mirroring/stripping question

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:35:03 GMT

"Guy Dallaire" <gd-newsgroups_at_spamex.com> wrote in message news:1xQpb.641$143.28461_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Say you have 8 disks in a hardware raid controller on which you want to
> place oracle datafiles. Your redo logs are duplexed on another separate
pair
> of disks. You want mirroring
>
> What is the best scenario:
>
> a) Create 4 mirrors of two disks each, and treat each mirror as separate
> devices, place indexes and data files on separate disk, juste like on a
> regular disk.
>
> b) Create 2 stripped mirrors of 4 disks each, one for indexes, one for
> tables.
>
> c) Create 1 big stripped mirror with the 8 disks and place all datafiles
on
> it, regardless of types of segments.
>
> The RAID Array is a sun storedge 3310 with 2 controllers (512 Mb cache)

Hi Guy,

Something you may want to consider that hasn't yet been mentioned is to look at option d).

That is separate your write intensive objects from your read intensive objects (if such distinctions can be made). Reason being that some I/O sub-systems cause serve penalties in waits/queues while writes are being performed. To reduce the impacts of writes on reads operations, such separations may be beneficial.

May ...

Cheers

Richard Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 06:35:03 CST