Re: IMP/EXP accross platforms: What will be missing?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:13:23 +1100

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:3fa98c61$0$9282$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> install? The thing fragments like crazy. Why? Because (as I understand it),
> whichever bit of the disk happens to waft under the heads when something
> needs to be written gets the write. The Windows installer doesn't hang
> around, incurring rotational latency problems, to make sure the install goes
> on to disk nice and de-fragmented.

Actually, the Windows installer runs NTFS like Windoze does at any other time. The file system is loaded before the install starts and is used exactly like anything else writing in Windoze. Obviously, provided your C: drive *is* NTFS!

And NTFS writes all over the partition every single time anyway, because it tries to optimize data distribution all over the partition so no given file is favoured over another in terms of speed of access.

Unless of course you tell it to create a contiguous file. In which case it will STILL write all over the place, but in larger chunks...

The size of these chunks? Check out
KHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\ContigFileAllocSize. No, it's not there by default. It's measured in Kb. Quite a handy little parameter to know about. Set your dbfmbr to the size you set this one to and you'll have very good results on FTS. Of course, you MUST re-create the partitions (with the right sector size) and file systems all over again to get good results out of all that jazz. Just plonking it in after the fact will achieve nothing.

> To be fair, it very much depends on your file system. NTFS is not the
> world's most sensible file system, I realise. So YMMV.

Yes, very true. It all depends on the file system used and HOW it has been tuned/defined/parameterised.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto