Re: oracle on startup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:00:53 +1100

"Holger Baer" <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de> wrote in message news:3FAA01B0.8050702_at_science-computing.de...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> > "mlk" <mm10_at_caramail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi
> >>I install oracle 8i on win2k.It start on startup and I don't want it.
> >>I change the registry key value of ORA_GRET_AUTOSTART from true to false
> >
> > but
> >
> >>I can not connect to the DB via sql plus to start it.
> >>Did I change the right key or do I have to change something else?
> >>thx for help
> >

> > It's slightly unusual to start hacking around the registry to achieve
this,
> > since that's what the Control Panel's Services applett is there for. But
no

> Not so fast Howard. There's a difference if you meddle with the settings
for
> the service in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\OracleService<SID>
> which should of course be done through the control panel to control the
> startup behaviour of the service.
>
> However, the OP stated that he change ORA_GRET_AUTOSTART which is in
> HKLM\Software\Oracle\HomeX (replace X with the appropriate number of the
> OracleHome) which changes only whether the instance starts up or not.
> Setting this parameter to FALSE gives you kind of a more unix-like
> environment where the instance is set not to startup in /etc/oratab
> (on linux, at least).
>
> This is the setup that I use at home, because I don't want the
> instance to startup all the time (there are times I use a computer and
> Oracle ain't involved ;-) ) but I love to fire up sql*plus, realise that
> the instance is not started yet and then connect / as sysdba; startup
> is my friend....

Quite right, and my mistake. I still think, however, that the service to manual and then creating a simple batch file to do a "net start" when required is the easiest way to go. I have that as a shortcut on my Windows desktops, and it works fine. I don't see that it's any Less 'like setting 'N' in /etc/oratab' than the alternative.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 03:00:53 CST