Re: copy a DB from Solaris to HP-UX

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:14:38 +0000

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:39:42 +1100, Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Look: you might get lucky. These are two Unixes, after all. But it's not
> supported, and I wouldn't bet on it. The only supported way of moving from
> one O/S to the other is via export and import. Anything else is down to
> testing, crossed fingers, and hefty dollops of prayer to the Almighty.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Forget it !

I've been there and tried it. The binary compatability between operating systems just isn't there. You can clone the database easily in the normal cold backup manner, but when you cone to start it, it won't. Trust me, I'm not a doctor!

Export/import or create a new database and pull the data over a dblink or even, use SQL*Plus' COPY command (with a decent commitrate and arraysize) and you can do it without a link.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.