Re: A typical day for me, as a DBA ...

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2003 22:19:46 -0800

mjoco1952_at_yahoo.com (Frank) wrote in message news:<e863ecf6.0311051450.17b5c273_at_posting.google.com>...
> I happen to agree with the level of buffoonery of the person being
> discussed; but, let's be fair and realize that the "Peter Principle"
> is always alive and well in all IT professions. Also, many IT managers
> are nothing more than glorified cheerleaders. They may have all the
> certifications in the world; but, it's just test scores. It doesn't
> mean they know how to apply anything they may have picked up. They've
> never had to be "in the trenches".
>
> Perhaps it is we who are stupid in expecting anything more than
> average performance from most CIO's/Directors/ even managers?
>
> I don't know. All I really know is that I can believe all of the
> above; but, never achieve the patient restraint of dealing with them.
> I always get just as frustrated with the next stupid executive
> decision that comes along as I did with all of the others....
>
> Who I really feel sorry for are the vendors who have to deal with such
> dumbells. It's gotta be tough...

are you kidding?
if the person making the purchasing decision actually knew what he was buying, the vendors would have a much more difficult time.

a PHB (target) is the ideal pre-requisite toward vendor's sales quota being exceeded.

an informed, competent person making the purchasing decision that compares vendor offerings in a cost/benefit analysis framework (and I don't just mean ROI) would seem to be much more of a PITA to a vendor salesperson than one that accepts the marketing drivel presented to him.

Pd Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 00:19:46 CST