Re: capture oracle pwd change in 3rd party application. help needed

From: Anna C. Dent <anacdent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:07:49 -0800

Lasher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have clients using an application that allows users to change their
> passwords. The application uses the 'ALTER USER xxx IDENTIFIED
> BY.....' command. What I need to do is use Oracle to capture the
> username and password and send the info to another Oracle instance on
> a different server and update that users password.
>
> Basically I need to keep the user's password in sync between two
> different databases.
>
> I also cannot change the application in anyway and therefore need to
> do this from the Oracle side.
>
> Any ideas would be great.........

Alternatively, you could simple grab the hashed HEX password value & jam it into the other instance.

This is a variation on how a DBA can "break into" any schema in the DB.

1) Save away the HEX hashed password.
2) ALTER USER IDENTIFIED BY dba;
3) Do what needs to be done.
4) Restore the original password.