Re: copy a DB from Solaris to HP-UX

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:39:42 +1100

"Joe" <emanonii_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:63bb2d27.0311051615.21c9a8e1_at_posting.google.com...
> I have to copy a DB from Solaris to HP-UX. The versions of Oracle and
> the db names will be the same. I have one major hitch and question.
> The hitch - export/import is not an option. I can get a cold backup
> for laying the db down on the HP-UX box, but from then on, I will need
> to roll forward using logs until the decision is made to cut over
> between the two boxes. My question:
> Will there be any OS compatibilty issues for the control, data and log
> files? Meaning, will Oracle on HP-UX be able to read and write to
> control, data and log files created by Oracle on the Soalris box?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Look: you might get lucky. These are two Unixes, after all. But it's not supported, and I wouldn't bet on it. The only supported way of moving from one O/S to the other is via export and import. Anything else is down to testing, crossed fingers, and hefty dollops of prayer to the Almighty.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Nov 05 2003 - 18:39:42 CST