Re: ORA-27101: Shared Memory Does Not Exist

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2003 16:33:50 -0800

"Keith A. Jakubowski" <kjakubowsk_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:<3FA929A5.2309_at_aol.com>...
> Can anyone help me?
>
> I am currently working towards the 2nd certification exam and I am now
> having a problem. I have been using Oracle 8i and I just recently
> upgraded to Oracle 9i. The Oracle 9i installation was successful and my
> database converted over fine. After the installation I was able to use
> SQL*Plus and everything was fine. I was able to log in and was able to
> access all of my tables. However, I rebooted my PC today (first time
> since the installation) and I am now getting the following error when
> trying to log on to SQL*Plus:
>
> ORA-01034: Oracle not available
> ORA-27101: Shared memory does not exist
>
> I can't log in and I can't figure out how to fix this. Does anyone have
> any suggestions?
>
> My PC specs are:
>
> Gateway Laptop
> OS: Windows XP Home
> Processor: P4 2.00 GHz
> Memory: 256 MB RAM
>
> Thanks.
>
> Keith

If what everyone else said still doesn't fix the problem, understand that you should be starting and stopping your database manually with ORADIM, since using AUTOMATIC under services doesn't wait for the db to shutdown properly when you shutdown the box. Now, ORADIM or the db service messes with the registry, so if you shutdown the box without shutting down the database, you can wind up with a corrupt registry and/or corrupted service. The answer is usually to delete and recreate the corrupted service with ORADIM (run it with no parameters to see the options). You probably want to have a bat file that sets the proper environment and starts or stops the db.

That won't be on the exam.

Also be sure you understand the differences in init.ora/spfile for starting with ORADIM. Check that the init.ora you are using has what went into the converted spfile. Be sure you use the appropriate ORADIM command that creates the password file and that the init.ora refers to it properly.

That's a different exam.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.