Re: Setting file permission error on Oracle 9.2 installation on RedHat 9.0

From: Rob Green <rgbg6808_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2003 14:22:25 -0800

"paddy_nyr" <mpprpp_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bo8tm8$1bqknp$1_at_ID-196946.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "Rob Green" <rgbg6808_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > On installing Oracle 9.2 on RedHat 9.0 and AS 2.1, I encounterd the
> > same following error:
> >
> > Error in setting permissions on file/directory
> > /opt/oracle/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE
> >
> > Could someone tell me why it happened and how to fix it? Your help is
> > much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob
>
> Make sure oracle has write permissions to that directory. Usually /opt is
> owned by root, so to get around this make oracle part of the group that root
> has assigned to that directory.

Thanks much for the reply.

I have changed the ownership of /opt/oracle and all its subdirectories to user "oracle.dba" (or "oracle.oinstall"), and all other components can be installed without any problems.

Because this error has no option of "Ignore" like some others do, this component can not be installed. If I continue with the installation without this component, I will get a compile error during linkage and the installation will fail.

Thanks,
Rob Received on Wed Nov 05 2003 - 16:22:25 CST